I have made this recipe a few times and have altered it a little each time. I think this version is my absolute favourite! And of course carrot cake just wouldn't be complete without cream cheese icing... now cream cheese is definitely not SCD legal... but I have to say that this icing tastes pretty darn amazing!
Now the challenge is not eating this entire cake in one sitting... it is tempting...
Carrot Cake Muffins with Creamy Coconut Icing (SCD, Dessert)
4 cups blanched almond flour
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp baking soda
1TBSP ground cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 TBSP vanilla
3/4 cup honey
1/3 cup coconut oil (or butter... I actually used a combo of both)
2 cups grated carrots
1 cup grated apple
1 cup ground pecans (I prefer to leave this coarsely ground to give the cake some texture)
Optional: 1 cup raisins or chopped dried apricots
1. In your mix master combine all dry ingredients on a medium setting
2. Add eggs, vanilla, honey, coconut oil and blend until all ingredients are combined, and chunks of coconut oil have disappeared (the batter will be quite thick and dense at this point, don't worry it gets fluffier with the next steps)
3. Add grated carrots and apple and mix well (I use my hand to mix once I am at this part)
4. Add ground pecans and mix well
5. Preheat oven to 325 F
6. Line muffin pan with silicone muffin liners
7. Fill each muffin liner with dough to the brim of the liner
8. Bake for 20 mins at 325 F and then turn oven up to 345 F for an additional 8-10 minutes (until toothpick inserted inside comes out clean)
** You should have some batter left! I used it to make a small cake in a round cake pan. I cooked this for 20 min at 325 and it turned out perfectly. Alternatively you could make a few more muffins... but I wanted some sort of real looking cake for my birthday!
*** This recipe can be used to make a large cake as well, I don't have the exact timing down but next time I will try this version and get back to you! (I have made it before but never wrote down the instructions)
Please let me know what you think! I will post the recipe for the icing next. Because let's be honest, cake just isn't cake without the icing. Oh yum
I hope everyone had a great weekend!