January 25, 2013

Some Tips From Me to You

Eating a paleo/ SCD or GAPS diet can be difficult, especially in the beginning. Knowing where you can find safe products can be quite a challenge . And once you do find things that are safe certain foods can be quite expensive!
Here are a few helpful tips I have learned along the way:

1. Buy in bulk

This may sound like a no-brainer but buying in large quantities can save you a lot of money! Some of the things I buy in bulk are: raw nuts, shredded coconut, and almond flour. As well, buying the larger size of most items is often cheaper (take coconut oil, honey, oils, for example). I would also recommend getting a Costco membership, or befriending someone with one! I get my honey, oils, and certain meats there for a much cheaper price! It may seem like more money at the time, but in the long run it will save you money!

2. Get to know your local producers

After searching online for safe meats in my area I contacted local butchers directly to have certain products made for me. I get my sausages specially prepared by a local group who raises hormone free pigs. They make their sausages from scratch so I know exactly what does and doesn't go into them. I order about 10lbs of sausages every couple months, and get my back bacon from the same place. I have found that many producers are quite willing to modify their products if you ask them!

3. Contact your local Weston A Price Leader

I had never heard of this group before turning to the SCD/ GAPS diet but man can they be helpful! My local leader had contacts for everything I was having trouble finding (lard, bacon, beef products).
I highly recommend getting in touch with them if you are having trouble finding products that are safe!

4. Get a Freezer and Use it! 

Whenever I make a batch of baked goods I always make more than I will eat and freeze the extras. This serves me well when I am on busy rotations and have less time to cook. This goes for certain meals as well (soups, stews etc.). This may sound simple but I know a lot of people who have trouble planning ahead and this takes the hassle out of preparing meals every night! You always have something delicious waiting to be heated.

5. Shop Online and Don't be Afraid of Stocking up When you Travel! 

I have found that this is especially important for us Canadians. I am sorry but we get ripped off when it comes to pretty much all products! I order my almond flour from the States and even with paying $50 for shipping it costs way less than any local almond flour I have found. This goes for coconut butter and coconut oil as well. I get my almond flour from Digestive Wellness and many other products from iherb. Every time I go to the States I always have extra room in my suitcase for food products. This sounds ridiculous but I stock up on almond flour, spices and coconut butter whenever I am in the US. It's at the point where every member of my family offers to bring me back almond flour whenever they travel to the States. I have them well trained!

Do you have any shopping tips? Are there any websites you have found to order certain things from? I would love to get feedback!
And as always feel free to contact me with any questions you may have!

No comments:

Post a Comment