February 02, 2013

Honey Vanilla Scones (SCD, Paleo, Egg free, Dairy free)




The name of these sounds way fancier than they really are. But they are still delicious if you ask me.
These are probably one of the easiest things that I bake, and trust me they are still good (even the boyfriend agrees... I wouldn't lie to you I promise).
I pretty much make a batch of these each week. I carry these around as snacks when I am on call...  at 3AM when you start to fill ill from lack of sleep these babies hit the spot!

This recipe highlights one of my baking rules: everything is better with vanilla. Not only does it smell delicious but it brings out the flavour in baked goods like nothing else! Go ahead and disagree with me but I stand by my rule!

Honey Vanilla Scones (SCD, Paleo, Egg Free, Dairy free)

Ingredients


3 1/2 cups almond flour
¼ cup butter or coconut oil 
¼ tsp sea salt
½ tsp baking soda
1 TBSP organic vanilla
1/3 cup honey
1 egg or 3 TBSP water 





Directions

1. Place flour and butter in a microwave proof bowl and microwave for 80 seconds on high to melt butter
2. Add remaining ingredients to bowl
3. Mix well with a pastry blender
4. Place dough on a sheet of wax paper and press into a large ball surrounded by the wax paper
5. Place dough with wax paper surrounding it in the freezer for 15-20 minutes (this isn't necessary but helps the dough stay together and makes it easier to work with)
6. Preheat oven to 350 F
7. Form 3 inch round discs with dough and place on a baking sheet (this should make about 6 scones)
8. Bake for 15 minutes or until the tops of the scones are golden brown in colour. 
9. Let cool for a few minutes and enjoy! These freeze really well too if you want to store them for later 






Let me know what you think of these! Aren't they super easy?? 

4 comments:

  1. Can I use cashew meal, or does it need to be super fine flour?

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest I have never tried these with anything other than the fine almond flour meal. I imagine cashew meal would also work though! It would probably be delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. could I use another flour to be AIP compliant you think? (coconut, arrowroot, tapioca?) looks SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately I don't think avoiding the nut flour is possible for this one. You would have to change the portions so dramatically and add other ingredients like eggs. I will try to develop an alternative recipe in the future since I know many of my readers can't have nuts. Sorry I wasn't more helpful!

    ReplyDelete