March 03, 2013

Travelling Meal Ideas

So keeping with my theme of eating when travelling I thought I would post some sample meals from my latest adventure in San Antonio.
Since I had limited ingredients to cook with my meals were pretty simple, but all still tasty and most important.... SAFE!
I am sorry that I don't have pictures of most of these, but I will show you the ones I do have!

1. Fried Chicken with Coconut Cauliflower 


This one is pretty basic
For the chicken:

5 organic chicken legs
Olive oil
Basil
Salt
Pepper

All I did for this was place olive oil in a pan, set to medium heat and then add the chicken. Once the chicken was in the pan I coated the legs with basil, salt and pepper. Once the first side was cooked (golden brown skin) I turned the chicken over, coated with the same spices and then cooked until done.
Now I didn't measure any of my ingredients, or time the chicken but I would guess I cooked these for about 15-20 minutes. Just make sure there is no pink remaining when you cut into your chicken!

For the Cauliflower:
I chopped 1 small head of cauliflower and placed it into a sauce pan with about 1cm deep water in the bottom. I then cooked/ steamed the cauliflower until it was tender. Once it was done and on my plate I added Coconut oil and mashed it until in was left in small pieces.

Now I tend to like to eat my foods all mixed into one so I jumbled my chopped chicken legs and cauliflower into one big mess... but if you like to keep your foods separated you can definitely do that too... I just think my way is better.


3. Stuffed Turkey Breasts with Apple Sauce


So I saw some organic turkey breasts at Trader Joes and just had to make something with them. I don't eat a lot of turkey so this one was a total experiment but I think it turned out pretty well.


Stuffed Turkey Breast Ingredients:
1 yellow pepper
1/2 yellow onion
Basil
Salt 
Pepper 

Directions:
1. Finely dice onion and yellow pepper 
2. Cut a slice down the middle of each turkey breast, ensuring you don't cut right through
3. Spread turkey breasts apart and fill each slice with diced yellow pepper and onion (you should have some left over)
4. Place a frying pan on medium heat on add 1tbsp coconut oil
5. Place turkey breasts in pan, coat with basil and add salt and pepper to taste
6. Add the extra pepper and onions to pan and cover with lid 
7. Cook everything until the turkey breast are cooked through (no need to flip) (approximately 15 minutes) 
8. Once cooked top your turkey breast with some apple sauce, and add whatever side vegetable you want! Enjoy 




3. Apple Chicken Sausage with Sautéed Vegetables


So I can't take any credit for the sausages in this one. These are courtesy of Trader Joe's. I actually tried 2 different "Erin friendly" sausages from them while I was there. One was Apple Chardonnay and the other was Spicy Italian. I am partial to the apple one myself, but the fact that it was so easy to find safe sausages makes me a pretty happy girl.

For the sausages:
All I did was cook the sausages in a frying pan with some olive oil. So easy!

For the Sauteed vegetables:
I used the same pan that I had just used to cook the sausages (keep some of that delicious flavour!).  I added some coconut oil to the heated pan and then added chopped broccoli, mushrooms, yellow zucchini and onions. I always cook my broccoli a little first before adding the other vegies because I like mine well cooked but you definitely can throw everything in at once! I cooked these until the onions were clear and mushrooms well cooked. I also added some salt and pepper to the mix while the vegetables were cooking. Also very easy!


Well there you go everyone! Would you eat any of these? Would you make any adjustments?
I hope everyone is having a good weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment