April 15, 2013

Healing Bone Broth (SCD, GAPS, Paleo)

One of the mainstays of both the SCD and GAPS diet is broth made from animal bones.
When I first started the SCD diet the broth seemed like a lot of extra work (in addition to learning how to make my own yogurt, eliminating most of my staple foods...) so I never bothered to make it. I just did the intro diet without it. And don't get me wrong, I did have good results. But recently I have been doing more and more reading about the healing powers of broth and traditionally raised meats. Because of this I recently started making the broth that I had for so long ignored. Now it's only been a couple weeks so it's probably too early for me to be seeing a real difference but I swear I feel better!

Here is a passage from the GAPS website explaining a little about the reasoning behind the broth:

"Meat and fish stocks provide building blocks for the rapidly growing cells of the gut lining and they have a soothing effect on any areas of inflammation in the gut.  That is why they aid digestion and have been known for centuries as healing folk remedies for the digestive tract.  Do not use commercially available soup stock granules or bullion cubes, they are highly processed and are full of detrimental ingredients.  Chicken stock is particularly gentle on the stomach and is very good to start from.  To make good meat stock you need joints, bones, a piece of meat on the bone, a whole chicken, giblets from chicken, goose or duck, whole pigeons, pheasants or other inexpensive meats.  It is essential to use bones and joints, as they provide the healing substances, not so much the muscle meats" (source)

Now I have lent my SCD book to a friend so I can't quote the passage that explains more about the broth in that book, but when I get it back I will give you that info as well!

Making the broth is actually really easy! Here is what I do:

Healing Broth (GAPS, SCD, Paleo) 

Ingredients

3 soup bones (From grassfed, ethically raised animals)
Filtered water
2 TBSP apple cider vinegar
Hand full of bay leaves
Sea salt
Black Pepper 
Ginger

Directions

1. Fill your slow cooker with the bones and filtered water (fill near the brim) and turn on to high heat
2. Add apple cider vinegar and bay leaves
3. Add sea salt, pepper and grated ginger to taste
4. Allow broth to cook for 3-4 hours and then turn down to low heat
5. After 8-12 hours you may begin to consume the broth
6. Leave the broth on low heat for 2-3 days, each time you take some out simply add back in more filtered water 
7. After 2-3 days place the broth in the fridge, or keep some in the freezer for a later date

Notes:
* The apple cider vinegar is crucial to help leach minerals from the bones
** These spices are what I prefer, feel free to substitute with other herbs and spices to your liking 
*** Any animal bones will do. But they should be from pasture raised, grass fed animals. If you use conventionally raised animal bones you will be ingesting poor quality nutrients and will not have the same beneficial results. Beef bones are easiest to find commercially but if you roast your own organic chickens then you have your own source of chicken bones

Isn't that easy? I don't know why I avoided it for so long. It actually find myself craving this broth now which is probably a sign my body likes it. 
What do you think? Will you be adding broth to your healing regimen?

1 comment:

  1. Yep Definitely added but---neglected for too long. Now back at it! My body also craves and my gut so appreciates it! :)

    ReplyDelete