April 24, 2013

SImple Roasted Chicken (SCD, GAPS, Paleo, Poultry)

So my friends this is a very very easy recipe! I feel bad even calling it a recipe, but for lack of a better word that's what I will call it!
I tend to make a roast chicken almost weekly because it is just that simple and the leftovers last for days.

I was out with a couple friends the other day and they asked me "how do you have time to make all the food that you do?"
I had never really thought about "making time" to cook, it's just something that I do. A lot! Don't get me wrong, it is time consuming making all my own food. But it is such a habit now that I don't even think of it as extra work. It's just part of my routine. And no I don't make food everyday. I tend to cook in batches. I make a lot of food on the weekends that I am not working and then 2-3 nights a week I will make a couple things each night that will last me for my meals the rest of the week. This becomes more challenging the months that I have a lot of in house call and don't see my home for days at a time, but again it just requires a little planning. On those months my post call days will be filled with cooking or baking that will last me for a few days. Then the cycle repeats.
I also have a lot of "go to meals" that I make a lot. This chicken is one of those meals. I will try to post more of my standbys, but they are usually pretty simple so I didn't really feel they were blog worthy... But let me know what you think about this one and I can post some very simple meals in the future.

Alright enough rambling! Time to cook us a chicken!

Simple Roasted Chicken (SCD, GAPS, Paleo, Poultry)


Ingredients

1 whole chicken (antibiotic, hormone free and locally raised if possible)
~ 3 tbsp organic or grassfed butter
Simply Organic Italian seasoning (if you aren't on the SCD diet any Italian seasoning will do, but if you are worried about hidden starch I only recommend this brand) 
Dried basil
Paprika


Directions

1. Remove chicken from packing and place in large baking dish (I use a metal one, but glass also works)
2. Place butter in microwave safe dish and microwave for 20-25 seconds on high
3. With your fingers spread melted butter over entire chicken, coating outside
4. Cover chicken with your spices
5. Preheat oven to 350 F
6. Place chicken in oven
7. Bake uncovered for 45 minutes and then cover with tinfoil and cook for another 30 minutes (the cooking time will vary slightly with the size of your chicken... the bigger the chicken the longer you will need) 
8. Enjoy! 


(I know it looks like a lot of paprika... but trust me it tastes good!) 




Seriously easy! The worst part of this is waiting for the chicken to cook! And don't throw out your chicken bones! Keep them to make your chicken broth.

You want to know an easy way to tell if your chicken is fully cooked? Feel how mobile the legs are. If they move around easily you are done! If they are still stiff then you need to keep cooking! Yep just a little tid bit from me to you. 

Do any of you roast chickens? What do you put on yours? 

3 comments:

  1. Where do you get your chicken? THe ones we've been getting are kind of small and I'm pretty sure not they're not organic! Also, organic butter! I have Kerry Gold right now from the US and I don't want to go back to regular butter! Eek!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been buying my chickens at Superstore lately. They have a small "free from" section in their meat department that are raised without antibiotics or hormones. I don't think they are organic but I will check next time. I am actually looking for a local supplier to buy from that doesn't use soy to feed their chickens (and having a very hard time doing so!).
    And I love Kerry Gold butter! I so wish we could get it here!
    I get my organic butter at superstore as well. I buy the Organic Meadow brand. It is expensive (around $8 per package) but everywhere else it is about $11. I am also looking into trying to find a local supplier that makes grassfed butter but haven't found anything yet! I will keep you posted :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also forgot to mention that you can buy a combo coconut oil/ grass fed butter ghee product by the brand Nutrition in Nature. You can find it at both Planet Organic and Community. I am sure they have it elsewhere as well but those are the places I frequent. It's the only grass fed product I have been able to find locally so far.

    ReplyDelete