May 04, 2013

Paleo Cinnamon Apple Bars with Gelatin (SCD, GAPS, Paleo, Dessert, Gelatin)




Post call blogging. Yep that's what I am doing today. So I am going to keep this short and sweet to prevent any rambling caused by my lack of sleep delirious state.

This recipe has many great and healthy ingredients including pecans, apples, honey and cinnamon. But there is one special ingredient that I snuck in here that you would never know about is grassfed gelatin! Yep I have been trying to incorporate this food into as many things as possible lately. Did you know it is considered a superfood? It has so many health benefits, which you can read about in my post here. In this recipe it helps give the apple layer a less runny consistency, and acts as a binder. It's such a versatile ingredient. I use it in so many things!
I was first introduced to using grassfed gelatin by Lauren from Empowered Sustenance. If you haven't checked out her blog yet you should. She's great, and maybe a genius (have you seen her recipe for cauliflower wraps??). Yep genius.

Ok enough talking. More eating. I hope you like this one! Let me know what you think.
And as always I would be thrilled if you visited me on my social media pages: Instagram, FacebookPinterest and  Twitter

Until next time, happy eating everyone!



Ingredients


Apple Filling

5 cups of apples, chopped and peeled (these will shrink when you cook them- you will need 3 cups of cooked apples so the 5 cups is just an estimate) 
1 tbsp ground cinnamon (find it here
1 tsp organic vanilla extract (I use this kind
1 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice (or orange for a different flavour) 
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp grassfed gelatin (I recommend this brand)




Crust

1 1/2 cups almond flour
1 1/2 cups ground pecans/ pecan flour
1/4 cup grassfed butter or coconut oil (Try this kind or this one
1/4 cup honey
1 tbsp organic vanilla extract (This brand is great) 
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon 
1/2 tsp baking soda (I use this kind
1/4 tsp sea salt 

1/3 cup almond flour or shredded coconut
zest from 1 orange 



Directions

1. Peel apples and cut into slices
2. Fill a sauce pan with a thin layer of water and place on medium heat on the stove
3. Fill sauce pan with chopped apples and cook for 15-20 mins or until apples are soft
4. Sprinkle apples with ground cinnamon while cooking
5. While your apples are cooking start the crust by adding almond flour, pecan flour and butter/ coconut oil to a microwave safe bowl
6. Heat bowl for 45 sec on high to melt the butter
7. Add the remaining crust ingredients to bowl (except for the additional 1/3 cup almond flour and orange zest) and blend with a pastry blender  
8. Preheat your oven to 350 F
9. Take approximately 2/3 of your crust mix and press into the bottom of an 8x8 pan so that you have a layer about 1cm thick
10. Place pan in oven for 10 minutes or until crust edge turns golden brown
11. Once apples are soft enough remove 3 cups worth and place in a large bowl (try to limit the amount of liquid that you get)
12. Add vanilla, honey, lemon juice and gelatin to apples and blend with a pastry blender so that apples become further chopped and gelatin dissolves
13. Once the bottom crust is done, remove from oven and cover with your apple layer
14. Add 1/3 cup almond flour and orange zest to the remaining crust ingredients and blend with a pastry blender. You should get a more crumbly texture at this point (add a bit more almond flour if you don't)
15. Top the apples with your remaining crust ingredients
16. Place in oven for another 10 minutes or until the top layer becomes a golden brown 
17. Let the dish cool for a few minutes before enjoying
Optional: Top with SCD legal yogurt
Optional additions: Instead of using an additional 1/3 cup almond flour to make the crust more crumbly you could use 1/3 cup shredded coconut for a different flavour









8 comments:

  1. Hi there,

    I would like to give this recipe a try. However, my husband can't have pecans. Do you think it would be ok to just use all almond flour?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes I am sure that would work just fine! I have made crusts with just almond flour many times and they turn out great!
    Really any nut flour should work... I just haven't experimented with too many yet

    Thanks for posting! Let me know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your creative plantain bun recipe on Pinterest… brilliant recipe! I'm having fun exploring your other creative recipes, and am beyond flattered by your kind words about my blog in this post! If you ever want to guest post a recipe on Empowered Sustenance, give me a holler at lauren@empoweredsustenance.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lauren somehow I missed your comment when you posted a few months ago! Thanks so much for the comments :)

      Delete
  4. I just stumbled upon your website and I am so thankful I found it!! Your story is very similar to mine! I am very grateful for the scd diet as it is helping tremendously with my IBS/candida issues. I just made this recipe and it is OH SO GOOD!!!! Thank you for your creativity with food as I am not one to try things out myself!! I did add the shredded coconut and it was just perfect! I will be sure to try more of your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment TamahB! Diet can make such a huge difference for people I am glad the SCD is working for you :)

      Delete
  5. I've just eaten and this would really hit the spot about now. Looks amazing! Definitely gonna have to try it out! Thanks :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would love to know if you try it! thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete