June 16, 2013

A Day in the Life: Run Day

I have recently started trying to run more regularly again. Up until 2 years ago when I started the SCD diet I was running on a pretty regular basis, and had run two half marathons with reasonable results. However, as you can imagine, running when your bowels are not happy is not an easy feat so for the last two years I have been focusing on healing and other forms of exercise. Well one of my goals for this year is to run another half marathon so a couple weeks ago I started running again! I have to say I am pretty excited about this. One thing I quickly realized is that my typical daily diet was way too low in carbs. I was hitting the wall really early in all of my runs and it was really frustrating! So I have started altering my diet a bit to accommodate more carbs, especially on running days.

Here is a typical running day diet. See what you think!

Breakfast

Smoothie:
1 over-ripe banana
1/3 cup SCD yogurt
1/3 cup pumpkin/ sweet potato/ squash
1/3 cup cooked mixed berries (if you tolerate raw go right ahead and use fresh berries!)
3-4 TBSP coconut milk 
1 tbsp grass fed gelatin 
sprinkle of cinnamon

I stick all the ingredients in my immersion blender cup and just blend away. Easy and delicious! 





Coffee:
1 cup organic coffee with coconut milk and grassfed butter (I don't measure this usually) 

Post-Run Snack/ Lunch

3/4 cup sweet potato 
2 pork sausages 
1 TBSP coconut oil

Water with freshly squeezed lemon juice and 1tsp L-glutamine powder 

Afternoon Snack

Cooked apple slices with cinnamon topped with cashew coconut butter (homemade)

Dinner

Grassfed steak
Cooked mushrooms and asparagus
Topped with walnut oil (1 TBSP) 

Nighttime Snack

Peppermint tea
Chocolate raspberry cookie (I will post this recipe soon I promise!)

That's it. A typical running day set of meals. 
What do you think? Would this work for you on running days?? What do you eat when you run?
I hope everyone had a good weekend :) 





No comments:

Post a Comment