In other news it is officially winter. And by that I mean cold. Freezing actually. -40C today with the windchill. Seriously. Temperatures like this are not meant for humans to live in. It's just fact. I literally have to push my dog out the door or he won't go. I can't blame the poor guy. And for those of you who like winter please keep those thoughts to yourself. It is on days like this when I seriously consider fleeing to a beach somewhere. Anyone else with me?
But speaking of Christmas has everyone started their shopping? Notice how I did not say finished? Because that would just be silly. I never understand how some people get all their shopping done so early! I feel like part of the adventure of Christmas shopping is trying to outsmart the crowds. Does anyone else feel that way? Are you asking for any good kitchen items for Christmas? I definitely have a cast iron pan on my list. And a dehydrator. And a Vitamix. Yes a girl can dream.
Well enough with the random thoughts. Enjoy the recipe! Let me know if you have any questions or comments! I always love hearing from you.
Ginger Cookies with Coconut Cream Icing (SCD, Paleo, GAPS)
2 1/2 cups almond flour
5 TBSP coconut oil or butter or ghee (or a combination of these - I used half coconut oil, half ghee)
1/3 cup honey (local and raw if possible)
2 TSP organic vanilla
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/8 tsp ground allspice
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground ginger
1. Turn oven onto 300F
2. Place almond flour and oil/butter into a large microwave safe bowl and heat for 1-2 minutes, until fat is melted
3. Add remainder of ingredients to bowl
4. Mix all ingredients well with a pastry blender
5. Form 1 inch round balls with the cookie dough and place on a cookie sheet (will make 18-20)
6. Wet a fork and flatten cookies using a cross-hatch pattern (wet the fork every 2nd cookie to prevent sticking)
7. Bake for 12-14 minutes (until edges are golden brown)
8. Remove from oven and allow to cool (** Note: use a metal spatula to "unstick" the cookies before they cool or these will stick to the cookie sheet - I do this after a couple minutes and then let them finish cooling on the cookie sheet)
1/2 package coconut cream concentrate (or use coconut butter instead)
1 TBSP coconut oil
1 TBSP butter or ghee
1 TBSP honey
1 tsp organic vanilla
1. Place coconut cream, coconut oil and butter/ghee into a microwave safe dish and heat for 35-45 seconds in the microwave on high
2. Remove from microwave, and stir to finish melting the ingredients
3. Add remaining ingredients and stir well
4. Place a teaspoon worth of icing onto each cookie (** Note: The icing will harden as it cools so if you don't ice the cookies right away simply re-heat)
Have a good weekend everyone! If you make these let me know what you think!