Happy Monday everyone!
How was your weekend? Did you do anything exciting? Eat any good food? Visit with friends? Go on any adventures? I hope so!
So yesterday was my birthday. I am officially one year older. 29. Somehow that sounds so much older than 28. I wish I could say I did something really exciting for the occasion, but I spent it like every other day lately - studying. Yep fun times. I didn't even have time to make a cake this year. It's sad I know. But I did get some pretty good gifts so there is a bright side. And I have a really good recipe to share with you today. So keep reading!
Since I had been posting lots of baked goods lately I decided it was time to bring some vegetables back into the mix. So today I am sharing my recipe for Roasted Root Vegetables with Mint Maple Vinaigrette. The dressing on these vegetables is officially my new favourite. I have been making this all the time now to use on everything from salads to fish to a dip for vegetables. Yes it's that good. I usually make a double batch just so that I can keep extras in the fridge. And my non-paleo family has been stealing this for their salads as well, which is always a good sign. Anything to get them to avoid those pre-made store bought salad dressings. Have you read the ingredients on most of those? Not a lot of real food in there my friends. Chemicals and more chemicals. Yuck, yuck, yuck!
In totally unrelated, yet very sad news, did you hear that Target is pulling out of Canada????
I can't believe this. I for one love that store. That place is my go-to destination for workout gear, office supplies, home decor items and cosmetics. Now I totally agree that we didn't get nearly the same quality of items that the stores in the U.S do, but that doesn't mean they didn't carry good stuff! I'm so sad that the rest of Canada didn't appreciate Target like I did. Now I will just have to go back to my old ways of stocking up on Target supplies when I am visiting the U.S. It's just not the same….
Are any of my Canadian readers sad to see Target go? Or is it just me?
Well on that happy note I think it's time to get to the recipe. I would love to hear what you think of this one! And I would be thrilled if you visited me on on Pinterest, Instagram or Facebook.
And to sign up for my blog's newsletter please fill in the box below. No spam I promise! Only recipes, new posts, links to deals and free items.
Roasted Carrots and Parsnips Ingredients
8 large carrots
1/4 cup melted organic coconut oil (this brand is my favourite)
sea salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400F
2. Peel the parsnips and carrots and then cut them into pieces (I cut mine into thirds lengthwise and then cut each third into 4-8 pieces depending on how thick the section was - you want the pieces to be of similar size so they cook evenly)
3. Place the sliced vegetables into a large bowl
4. Add the melted coconut oil, sea salt and pepper to the bowl and mix well to coat evenly
5. Place the vegetables on 2 baking sheets, ensuring they are not overlapping
6. Place in the oven and cook for 25-30 minutes (this will depend on the size of your vegetables - you want them to look roasted)
7. Remove from oven and add the vinaigrette before serving (recipe below)
Mint Maple Vinaigrette Ingredients
3/4 cup olive oil or walnut oil (or a mix of both if you have them)
2 TBSP organic apple cider vinegar (I use this kind)
2 TBSP pure organic maple syrup
2 TBSP organic dijon mustard
1/4 cup packed, chopped mint leaves
pinch sea salt
pinch black pepper
1. Make this while the vegetables are cooking
2. Place all the ingredients into a large bowl and stir well to combine
3. Let sit for 20 minutes to allow the flavours to blend
4. Transfer your vegetables to their serving dish and pour as much of the vinaigrette over the vegetables as you like to taste (I had leftovers)
5. Serve and enjoy!